What is the difference between probation, community control, and parole?
Probation and community control are generally the same thing.  Community Control refers to terms and conditions ordered by the Court as a sentence for a conviction.  Community Control is monitored by a probation officer, and allows a defendant to complete a sentence in the community.  Municipal courts may grant a term of probation, while felony courts grant a term of community control.  Both allow for sentences to be served in the community.

Parole on the other hand refers to community supervision after a defendant has served a prison sentence.  The correct term is actually post-release control (PRC).   PRC is a period of community supervision supervised by officers with the Adult Parole Authority, and may be optional or mandatory based on the type of offense. Parole specifically refers to the early release of a prison inmate for a serious felony offense that has a sentence range, like ten to twenty-five years, and is granted by a parole board appointed by the Governor.

What can I expect at an office visit with my probation officer?
You can expect to meet with a probation officer who will clearly explain your responsibilities while under supervision, provide you guidance about how to meet your community control sanctions, and answer any questions you may have.  It is important you arrive on time for your scheduled appointment and treat everyone with respect.  Be prepared to submit to a drug test if asked.

Can I bring my children, family members, or friends to my probation office visit?
It is preferred that you come to your office visit alone.  Space is limited, and you will be discussing topics with your officer that are confidential and not appropriate for children.  If you must bring your children, know that if you are taken into custody for an alleged violation or an outstanding warrant, your officer will try to contact a family member to pick up your children.  If none can be found, we will have no choice but to contact Children’s Services.

How do I pay my court costs, fines, restitution, or probation supervision fees?
Please see the Payment Information tab on this website.

What if I don’t have a ride or have to change my probation appointment?
Please remember that meeting with your probation officer is like a job – you are expected to arrive on time and be ready for your meeting.  Emergencies do happen however, so contact your probation officer as soon as possible to request an appointment change.  You will know your probation reporting date far in advance of the actual appointment though, giving you more than enough time to make arrangements for transportation and childcare.

Am I allowed to travel while on probation?
You must request permission to travel outside of Ohio or within Ohio for long periods of time from your probation officer.  A travel permit may be given if granted permission.  Do not make travel plans without first talking to your officer.

I am on probation in municipal court.  Can I just report to one officer?
No.  Trumbull County has six municipal court probation offices in addition to the Trumbull County Adult Probation Department.  Each court has their own rules and requirements.  You must report to each office if required.

Can I own a firearm while on probation?
No.  If you are under felony probation supervision, you may not possess or use a firearm or other dangerous ordnance.  If you have been convicted of a felony drug offense, sex offense, or offense of violence, you may never use or possess a firearm unless your request a relief from disability.

Can I go hunting while on probation?
You may not use a firearm to hunt.  You may use a crossbow, compound bow, or muzzleloader.

Am I allowed to vote?
Yes.  You cannot vote if you are incarcerated. 

I have information about a person on probation currently committing criminal activity.  How can I report this?
If you believe a person on probation is committing an offense, contact the police department.  If your concern is directly related to the defendant’s community control sanctions, you may use the TIP LINE on this web page to email your concerns.

I have questions about a person on probation.  How can I find out information?
Most information regarding persons under probation supervision and their cases are confidential and not a part of the public record.  The only information we can provide is the same information you can find if you go to the Trumbull County Clerk of Court’s website and search the person’s name.

I have friends/family members in the Trumbull County Jail.  How can I get the person’s property out of the jail or get their prescription medication to them in the jail?
Probation Officers cannot retrieve property, drop off medications, or pass messages to an inmate in the Trumbull County Jail.  You can find out how to do these things by searching the jail website at www.sheriff.co.trumbull.oh.us or by calling 330-675-2540.

Can I get off probation early?
To be eligible for early termination from community control supervision, all sanctions must be successfully completed and all financial sanctions must be paid.  Your probation officer can then present the Court with a request for early termination.

Can I get my conviction sealed/expunged?
If you have been convicted of an offense or violence, a sex offense, a felony of the first or second degree, were subject to a mandatory prison term, or the victim in your case was under the age of sixteen, you are NOT eligible to have your case sealed. You are not eligible if you have any criminal cases pending against you.

If you have misdemeanors or felonies of the fourth or fifth degree, you may apply to have your record sealed one full year from the day your sentence is complete.

If you have a felony of the third degree, you may apply to have your record sealed three full years from the day your sentence is complete.

If your case was no billed, you may apply to have your record sealed two years after the date the no bill was reported.

If your case was dismissed or you were found not guilty, you may apply to have your record sealed once the finding is journalized with the Clerk of Court.

Please note your request to seal your record may be denied if you have not paid your court ordered financial obligations in full.

If you have any questions, you may contact Probation Officer Tracy Hunt.

How do I seal my record of conviction, dismissal, no bill, or not guilty finding?
You can find the paperwork you need under the FORMS tab on this page.

Complete the paperwork in full.  It is very important to include a current address and contact phone number.

File your paperwork with the Trumbull County Clerk of Court, located in the courthouse at 161 High Street, Warren, Ohio, 44481.  There is a $50 fee to file to seal your record for each filing.  If you cannot afford the fee, complete the Poverty Affidavit form under the FORMS Tab.

The Court may set a hearing for you to appear in person after an eligibility report is completed by the Trumbull County Adult Probation Department.

If you have any questions, you may contact Probation Officer Tracy Hunt.